Published on July 11th, 2016 | by Debbie Martin5
Frontline Plus – A New Line of Defence Against Fleas
With an estimated 13 million UK households having at least one pet, parasite awareness is more important than ever.
Ectoparasites are one of the most common forms of parasites than can affect our beloved cats and dogs. An ectoparasite is one that lives on the animals, such as fleas and ticks.
Fleas are the most common ectoparasite, and are much more than a minor irritation. They can cause Flea Allergy Dermatitis, anaemia in puppies & kittens and the transmission of other parasites such as tapeworm.
Did you know that 95% of a flea infestation is in your home?
A female flea can lay up to 50 eggs a day, which then drop off your pet into the environment (your house). These eggs typically take 2-5 days to hatch in flea larvae. Once hatched into larvae, they move away from light into deep, dark areas such as carpets and cracks in the flooring. Once burrowed away from light the larvae take around 1-2 weeks to spin themselves into cocoons and become flea pupae. The pupae then develop into adult fleas within their protected cocoon. This can take up to 4 weeks, however adult fleas can remain dormant within the cocoon for up to 12 months.
With such a complex life-cycle it’s easy to see why flea infestations can be extremely difficult and problematic to eradicate.
But don’t despair! From the manufacturers of the UK’s most trusted brand of flea treatment, comes Frontline Plus; the new double action flea control for enhanced household protection.
How Does Frontline Plus Work?
Double action Frontline Plus contains both Fipronil and (S)-methoprene.
- Fipronil is an adulticide in that it kills adult fleas and ticks
- It is absorbed into the skin and concentrates in the sebaceous glands where it is secreted with the pet’s natural oils.
- Fleas don’t need to bite to be killed.
- Fipronil affects the parasites central nervous system and causes them to become hyper-active and therefore more visible when dying.
- (S)-methoprene is an insect growth regulator (IGR)
- Stops flea eggs laid by adult fleas from hatching
- Prevents larvae from developing
- Reduces the flea burden in the pet’s environment
Difference Between Frontline and Frontline Plus
How to Apply Frontline Plus
Download and keep our leaflet on the new Frontline Plus here