Pet Health Keep an Eye on Your Dog’s Health Between Vet Visits

Published on November 28th, 2018 | by Debbie Martin

Top Household Poisons for Pets

Top Household Poisons for Pets, many of us are aware that certain products can be dangerous and even deadly to our pets, but few are aware of the symptoms or what to look for if we suspect our pet has swallowed something they shouldn’t. In the post below we are going to discuss the top household products that can be dangerous for pets and what to look out for.

1. NSAID’s such as Ibuprofen

Poisonous to: Dogs, Cats
Level of toxicity: Moderate to Severe
Signs to watch for: Vomiting, Diarrhoea, Blood in Stools, Lethargy, Abdominal Pain, Seizures

Although ibuprofen is commonly used by people, dogs and cats are very sensitive to this human drug. Severe ingestions of ibuprofen can lead to kidney and liver failure and neurological problems.

2. Chocolate

Poisonous to: Dogs, Cats
Level of toxicity: Mild to Severe
Signs to watch for: Hyperactivity, Vomiting, Elevated Heart Rate, Tremors, Seizures

Chocolate contains theobromine, which can cause toxic effects when ingested by cats and dogs. The amount of theobromine in chocolate varies depending on the quality and type of chocolate. Dark chocolate with high levels of cocoa can be extremely toxic when even small amounts are ingested.

3. Slug/Snail Poison

Poisonous to: Dogs, Cats
Level of toxicity: Severe
Signs to watch for: Vomiting, Panting, Agitation, Seizures

Metaldehyde found in many snug and snail killer products used around the garden can be potentially fatal if ingested. The blue/green pellets can easily be eaten by inquisitive dogs exploring the garden.

4. Lilies

Poisonous to: Cats
Level of toxicity: Moderate to Severe
Signs to watch for: Inappetence, Lethargy, Vomiting, Diarrhoea, Dehydration

Although the toxic mechanism of lilies is not yet understood, it appears that all parts of the lily plant can be very poisonous to cats. The smallest exposure to the pollen can be potentially very dangerous and cause kidney failure.

5. Grapes/Raisins/Currants/Sultanas

Poisonous to: Dogs
Level of toxicity: Moderate to Severe
Signs to watch for: Vomiting, Diarrhoea, Lethargy, Abnormal Drinking/Urination

The toxicity of these foods is not dose dependent and symptoms have been noted from even small ingestions. Foods containing this common fruit can also be toxic, including cakes, cereals and other baked goods. Severe cases can be at risk of kidney failure.

6. Benzalkonium Chloride – Floor Cleaner

Poisonous to: Dogs, Cats
Level of toxicity: Mild to Severe
Signs to watch for: Drooling, Burns in the Mouth, Pawing at the Mouth, Inappetence, Lethargy

Benzalkonium chloride is commonly found in household cleaning products, particularly floor cleaners. Cat’s are most commonly exposed to this poison through accidental ingestion from grooming and licking, on and near recently treated surfaces.

Contact your vet immediately if you suspect your pet may have come into contact or ingested any of these items.

Tags:


About the Author

Debbie has worked for Beeston Animal Health for a number of years and although generally involved with the marketing these days she has a great deal of knowledge on many things to do with small animals.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to Top ↑